Guest post: Writer Advice by B. Lynn Goodwin

 

 


My guest today is B. Lynn Goodwin, whom I met a number of years ago in a Facebook Writing Group. I invited her to share how her company, Writer Advice, began, and am pleased to share it with you.


Finding a Niche and Filling It: The Story of Writer Advice

Over twenty-five years ago, I stood at the edge of a grassy meadow and realized that the mailing list of thirty-five writers that I’d been given by a site that was closing, could be the start of something big. The thought came unbidden and felt powerful. I’ve never forgotten that moment. 

At the time I was single, caring for my mother, and interviewing authors. I wanted to write a book someday  and figured the best way to find out where authors got their inspiration and how they learned their craft was to ask them. My first interview was with a local writer named Penny Warner, who’d just published a book about a hearing impaired detective named Connor Westphal. I’d signed up for a class with her, asked her to do the interview, and she said yes.

Of course, I needed a place to publish my author interviews, so when Haven’s List closed, I asked if I could have their mailing list. Their thirty-five person list was a start. I published on web pages that were available to the AOL community.

Eventually a woman named Jeanne Marie Childe took me onto the web and renamed us Writer Advice, a spin off of her e-zine, Novel Advice. Novel Advice is gone too, but Writer Advice persists.

Today, I’ve published three books, a fourth will be coming out soon from a press in London, and I have a fifth manuscript seeking the right publisher. I’ve written flash pieces, articles, and book reviews. In addition, I run a Manuscript Consultation and Editing Service through Writer Advice. We have four contests a year, and we’ve grown to have many additional features including writing and marketing advance. I also run a monthly Writing Extravaganza for StoryCircle.org, and I’m on their board.

I get joy from helping writers with their work. Writer Advice has become a source for writers seeking ideas, inspiration, and feedback. Today, the Internet gives us many ways to reach readers—ways we hadn’t dreamt of  years ago. 

Of course, there’s plenty of room for us to keep growing. My husband, whose been in my life less than half as long as Writer Advice, encouraged me to find a partner – someone who would eventually take over Writer Advice. I’m still looking for the right person. In the meantime, I’m willing to share opportunities with anyone who is interested. If you have an idea, please query me using the contact box at www.writeradvice.com.

Wherever your writing takes you, I hope you enjoy the journey and I wish you all the best. If Writer Advice, www.writeradvice.com can help you in any way, please reach out to us. We’re here to help writers. 

You can find Lynn's books by clicking on the book covers:



 

 B. Lynn Goodwin wrote two award-winning books, a YA called Talent, and a memoir titled Never Too Late: From Wannabe to Wife at 62. She’s also done author interviews, book reviews, and article for WriterAdvice, www.writeradvice.com and  Story Circle Network.  She writes flash pieces, is an editor and blogger for the San Francisco Writers Conference, and loves helping writers improve.


 

1 comment:

B. Lynn Goodwin said...

Thanks for inviting me to do this.

Lynn
www.writeradvice.com